The Sthalasayana Perumal Temple, also known as the Thoopul Vilakoli Perumal Temple, is a significant Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It is located in the village of Thoopul, which is situated in the Kanchipuram district of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. This temple is known for its historical and religious significance and is dedicated to Lord Vishnu in his Sthalasayana Perumal form, which means the Lord who rests on the ground.
Here are some key features and information about the Sthalasayana Perumal Temple:
* Deity: The primary deity of the temple is Lord Vishnu, who is worshipped in his reclining form, known as Sthalasayana Perumal. This form of Lord Vishnu is similar to the Anantha Padmanabha form seen in other temples.
* Architecture: The temple features traditional South Indian temple architecture, with beautifully carved pillars, intricate sculptures, and a gopuram (entrance tower). The temple complex includes a central shrine and several smaller shrines dedicated to various deities.
* Legends and Mythology: The temple is associated with several legends and stories from Hindu mythology. It is said that Lord Brahma, the creator of the universe, worshipped Lord Vishnu at this site, and the temple is believed to be the spot where Lord Vishnu revealed his cosmic form to Lord Brahma.
* Festivals: The temple celebrates various Hindu festivals, including Vaikunta Ekadashi, which is a major annual festival dedicated to Lord Vishnu. During this festival, devotees visit the temple to seek the Lord’s blessings.
* Serene Location: The Sthalasayana Perumal Temple is located in a peaceful and rural setting, providing a tranquil atmosphere for devotees and visitors.
* Religious Significance: The temple is an important pilgrimage site for followers of Vaishnavism and devotees of Lord Vishnu. It is also visited by tourists interested in exploring the rich religious and architectural heritage of Tamil Nadu.
* Part of Divya Desams: The Sthalasayana Perumal Temple is considered one of the 108 Divya Desams, which are a group of sacred Vishnu temples mentioned in the works of the Tamil Alvars (saints).
Visiting the Sthalasayana Perumal Temple offers a spiritual and cultural experience, allowing you to immerse yourself in the traditions and history of Vaishnavism in South India. It is a place where devotees can seek solace and blessings, and where tourists can appreciate the artistry and significance of the temple.